2/20/2011

Trying hard

Even in an adult workplace, especially in a classroom training setup, I find it amusing that everything goes back the way there were in high school. There's always the popular gal, the class clown, the trying hard, the nerds, the quiet guys, etc. I find it funny how disliked I've become lately, though I've never been told face to face nor were there any obvious deliberate action to let me know.

Well, I was smart enough to have figured it out without having to ask anyone. I am not one to make allies too just to be popular or get back at someone, so I just kept this to myself. I'm like the super villain Megamind, only that I'm neither blue in color nor an alien. The size of the head though might not be that far fetched.

This is surprisingly uncomfortable, and at the same time maddeningly challenging. The truth is I've always been the likable one and I always find something to like about anyone, just enough to be friendly friendly. That came with a price though. I had to thrive at mediocrity and live the life of the perpetual under achiever. I had to please people. I've always thought the role was cool.

Before I started with the new company, I decided otherwise.

So, how did I become a super villain, I guess it all started when I swore to work my hardest, in the exact fervent manner I swore to stop smoking. Though I am a long ways from that working the hardest habit, and still spends most of my time berating myself every time I fall short of my scheduled tasks, or feel lazy, I'm starting to get the feel of it.

So I try my damn hardest to be the most 'trying hard' guy in the room. I've never thought I'd say something like that in my life. I've always admired those trying hards for the simple fact that they're trying hard. It will likely start to pay off for them but take it's toll as well.

Anyway, people should know that the goal of is to learn as fast as you could in the shortest possible time. Because you don't want to add to yourself the stress and hassle of Not knowing what to do, and spare yourself the time you could have used more productively , than asking questions. This might also apply in most jobs I would think.

There's also a huge difference between those who see the call center as a temporary stint and those who see the job as their last chance to be good at something. There are those who don't have any fall back options and those with ready options, the board passers, engineers, nurses etcetera. There are also those who work to feed families, those who are hoping fun and opportunities, the new grads and the call center hoppers.

So for those who keep on whining, please just start focusing on what you yourselves need to learn, fast. Envy and insecurity will never help.

This situation almost looks like they actually expected an even playing field, and expected to see people from the same little barangays as theirs. At 25+ age, people still find it repulsive to find others of different ethnicity, personality and thinking. How many people have they met? or is this just plain High School?

I am not one to be bothered by anything personal or as dramatic as this at work, but i guess I am up to such friendly competitions, even for some nasty social mind wargames.
So, My first lesson from Megamind : the difference between a villain and a super villain is...

Presentation.

Noted.

I think this decision may have something to do with my renewed energy and positive atrocity. So I thank that too.

No comments: